Types of Disabilities
Types of Disabilities Covered by Social Security Disability Insurance
Social Security disability attorneys in Cleveland help you when you need disability benefits
If you suffer from a disability that affects your ability to earn an income, you may qualify for benefits under Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). However, not all disabilities meet the definition of “disability” as determined by the Social Security Administration (SSA).
At the law firm of Nager, Romaine & Schneiberg Co., L.P.A. (NRS), our disability attorneys help you analyze your disability to determine whether you may be eligible for Social Security disability benefits. Our lawyers help you understand your options and alleviate the stress of dealing with the SSA by representing you in the application and appeals process.
Disabilities that may qualify for Social Security disability benefits
To qualify for SSDI, you must suffer from a total disability that is expected to last for at least one year, which makes you unable to do the work you did before and unable to adjust to other work, or which results in death. You must also have worked for a certain length of time and paid Social Security taxes to obtain SSDI benefits. Types of disabilities that may qualify for benefits include the following:
- Children’s disabilities
- Musculoskeletal problems and back conditions
- Special senses and speech issues including vision and hearing loss
- Respiratory system illnesses
- Cardiovascular conditions such as heart failure or coronary artery disease
- Digestive system problems
- Genitourinary impairments from chronic renal disease
- Hematological disorders such as anemia and sickle cell
- Certain skin disorders
- Endocrine disorders or hormonal imbalances
- Impairments affecting multiple body systems such as Down syndrome
- Neurological disorders including multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy and epilepsy
- Mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia and autism
- Immune system disorders such as HIV/AIDS, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis
- Kidney disease
If your disability is not listed by the SSA, you may still qualify for benefits if your disability prevents you from working.
No Reason to Settle for Less in Cleveland and Ohio
At NRS, our firm’s initials inform our motto: No Reason to Settle for Less. Our attorneys are highly experienced at helping clients who suffer from all types of long-term disabilities obtain the benefits they are entitled to — and not a penny less. If you are disabled and need assistance with your Social Security claim or appeal in Cleveland or anywhere in the United States, call Nager, Romaine & Schneiberg Co., L.P.A., toll-free at 1.855.GOT.HURT (1.855.468.4878) or contact us by filling out our No-Risk Consultation form.