Summer is long gone and winter is on the way. Too soon rain and snow will turn dry pavement dangerous and lead to the possibility of fender benders — or worse — on slippery roads.
As temperatures cool, consider these tips for staying safe on Ohio roads this winter:
- Check the tires: Your tires are your car’s contact point with the road, yet they are often neglected. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates nine percent of all vehicles on the road are driving on one bald tire. Bald tires do not do much for stopping or handling, especially on slippery or wet pavement. Follow the inflation recommendations found on the inside of your car door and check tire pressure about once a month in the winter.
- Conduct other maintenance: Keep your gas tank full, replace worn wipers, keep oil changes up to date and make sure headlights are working.
- Learn defensive driving technique: The Ohio Department of Transportation cautions motorists that in Ice and Snow…Take it Slow. This is good advice, along with watching your following distance, not using cruise control in inclement weather and paying sharp attention for road hazards and other motorists who are having difficulty with their vehicles.
- Stay connected: Social media and other resources make it easy to stay apprised of road conditions. Check out conditions in your area through:
- Tweets about conditions in your area
- The Ohio Department of Transportation’s Facebook page
- Real-time traffic updates from the Ohio Department of Transportation
- Govern yourself accordingly: If you have to be someplace at a certain time, plan your route ahead, leave early or do not go at all if the weather is too poor to drive safely. As with any time of year, keep your family, yourself and others safe by not driving distracted.
Our firm represents clients and their families injured in automobile and other accidents. The best way to handle an accident is to keep it from happening in the first place. Drive safe and, if you have been injured through the negligence of others, get good legal advice.