Car accidents often happen suddenly and without warning. You may not even realize that driving is the most dangerous activity you engage in on a daily basis. While there are many traffic rules and regulations to protect drivers and passengers, auto collisions are fairly common, and many of them are caused by driver negligence, recklessness and distraction. In fact, with the advent of cell phones and texting, distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents.
Check out some crash statistics from the Ohio Department of Public Safety for 2011 below and be careful out there.
- There were 292,163 auto accidents
- Of these crashes, 72,305 involved injuries to drivers or passengers
- 941 of the accidents in 2011 were fatal
- Approximately 2.6 fatal crashes occurred each day
- Approximately 2.8 people were killed each day
- This equates to one person dying every 8.6 hours
- 290.7 people were injured every day
- Every 5 minutes, a person was injured in an auto accidents
- Of the people injured, 53.0 percent are males, 42.9 percent are females, and 4.1 percent are gender not stated
- 4.29 percent of the accidents involved drunk drivers
- Drunk drivers were involved in 36.35 percent of all fatalities
- 73.7 percent of all alcohol impaired drivers involved in crashes were males
- 64.5 percent of all crashes occurred during the daylight
- Motor vehicle accidents were responsible for the deaths of 36 children in 2011
When a car accident causes you or someone you love injury, you may be able to obtain just compensation for your damages with the help of a skilled attorney. Contact one right away.